Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thankful...







*

*


Well its that time of year...thanksgiving...does one really sit back and reflect what they are thankful for this time of year? I think it has gotten to the point where people associate "Thanksgiving" with a large family meal and for some families...football! Do families really get together this one day and share their feelings about what they are thankful for? I mean, we don't....we get together, eat way too much, talk about everyday life, say our goodbyes and head home. It's like any other family get together but somehow we got it embedded in our heads that on Thanksgiving we should be with as many people as we can and eat more than we should. It's expected.

What is the true meaning of Thanksgiving in Canada? Many believe it has the same meaning as our neighbours to the south...European settlers making peace with the orginal Natives of our land. It really doesn't...it is really a day to celebrate God & a successful harvest. Parliment declared in the following proclaimation in 1957:

"A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed ... to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."


I am thankful for my family, my friends, my health, my happiness...I am blessed to not have to live in poverty like so many unfortunate families in our country. Sometimes being blessed with so much we take for granted things like a warm place to sleep and food each night to feed our children. I am extremely blessed and very thankful...


So yes, I may have a touch of PMS (lol) but tomorrow at our Thanksgiving dinner I will try my best not to overeat! Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for a lot in my life, I really am. But I am thankful for these things everyday not just the 2nd Monday in October!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an entry Share. You are such a sweetheart. :hugs you: I hope you had a great weekend full of dinners, hun.